Thursday, December 30, 2010

meh flying..



As much as I love to travel.. I'm not a fan of the flying process. I hate waiting in lines. I'm always stuck behind the person who is on their phone not paying attention, someone who hasn't flown before, forgot to take put their liquids in a zip-lock bag, etc. It's just annoying. Due to the snowstorm on the east coast airports were closed, flights were cancelled, etc. I thought for sure my flight would be cancelled.. nope! I thought I was in the clear. My only concern was purchasing a new suitcase. Why did I need a new suitcase? I flew out here with 3 pair of boots and got 2 more pairs for Christmas. Not to mention all the other crap I had to haul back to California with me!
What happens when I got to the airport? My flight was delayed causing me to miss my connecting flight to Los Angeles. I was stuck waiting in lines and then finding out I had to go other lines and wait some more. My luggage arrived on time to California but I didn't. My pregnant body was sore and overly exhausted by the time I finally made it to a customer service rep. Everything was booked to California! What did that mean? I had to spend the night in Washington DC waiting on stand by flights. Under normal circumstances I wouldn't have minded. I'm always the one up for an adventure! I'm 15 weeks pregnant, my feet were throbbing and due to waiting in lines I was unable to eat.. I wasn't in any mood for an adventure! Finally there was some sort of light at the end of the tunnel.. They found me a flight to Seattle leaving the next day. Hooray! United put me up in a room at the Hilton and gave me a food voucher that covered the best cheeseburger I had in my life (I'm sure I had better but I WAS that hungry that it tasted like heaven at that point).

So the lesson here is..
- Always make sure your layover is at least 1 in a half - 2 hours. That gives you room for delayed flights, etc.
- Always and let me stress ALWAYS pack PJs, vitamins, another change of clothes, pills, etc. in your carry on. That way you don't have to wash your undies in the sink and have to wear the tank top/shirt you wore the day before!
- If you do miss your connecting flight/have to deal with a cancelled flight I suggest.. Don't start screaming at the customer service reps (they're just as annoyed with whatever they've putting up with all day), Be firm but nice (trust me this wins points), Don't feel bad about playing the "pregnancy" "sick kid" card (It's good to make a point with it but don't abuse it), and if they're really helpful.. remember your manners!! "I truly appreciate it" "Thank you" - Yes, they're doing their job but if they just helped you out, pulled some strings, etc. It's still important to let them know that you're thankful for their hard work!